Ladies Christmas Party
One of Santa's elves arrived this year with a sack full of gifts for the ladies!!!
I am pleased to inform all ladies that our birdie tree is now in the ladies locker room. My thanks go to Angie Heads, who made this for me. I am sure you will all agree that she has made a great job of this, it looks lovely. Please feel free to update with all of your birdies this year, and keep updated it with all your birdies, when you get them.
Lady Captain's day
I would like to thank all the ladies who attended my Captain's day yesterday, for their best wishes, presents and donations to our Captain's charity - The Great North Air Ambulance. The total raised was £253.
All of the ladies who played in the competition entered into the spirit of the event despite some appalling weather. I felt very sorry for the ladies who played in the evening, by the time they returned, the term "drowned rats" seemed to be an understatement.
My congratulations go to the winners. Carol Graham won the Captain's Salver, Angie Heads the best gross, the divisional prizes were won by Anne Paton, Judy Lillico, and Barbara Johnson. The runners up in the divisions were Carole Cutchie, Jan Robinson and Yvonne Hall. The 9 hole competition was won by Anna Parry. Other prizes were won by Kath Muir, Carol O'Neil, Chrissie Elliott, Natalie Health, Cindy Elborn, Appi Choudhry, Barbara Parker, Roma McGillivray, Mary Baker and Iris Elliott
My thanks to everyone who helped to make this event a huge success, from Brian, Dick, Nigel and Tony who manned the tent; to the greens staff for preparing the course to the highest standard; Alan who took the photographs; the catering and bar staff who prepared us some lovely food and served us so well; Steve and Keith in the proshop and all the work carried out by the ladies committee.
Lady Captain’s report
Lady Captain’s report
Our matches are now in full swing with the following results:
1st Team Won 5 ½ : 2 ½ v Whitley Bay at home
2nd Team Lost 1:6 v Hexham 2 at home
3rd Team Lost 2:5 v Gosforth Park ladies, Away
Evening league Lost 2:3 v Stockfield at home and won 3 ½ : 1 ½ v Arcot, away
On Tuesday we had a very successful, but very wet Domino day. This was thanks to the hard work of Doreen Cairns and Liz Watson who have organised this event throughout the year.
We also had a very successful Ladies Open on 23rd May. Our thanks go to Judy Lillico who organised this to the highest standards, it seemed to go down very well with all of the competitors.
Lady Captain's drive in
Many thanks to everyone for their best wishes at my drive in, I really appreciated them.
I am pleased to say that I managed to hit a good drive down the middle of the fairway. What a relief it was. This was followed by the Captain's v Vice Captain's match. Despite a very blustery day I think it was enjoyed by all of the competitors. The vice captain's side won by one point. Well done to Val and her team.
On our return to the club house we all had a welcome delicious bowl of soup. Many thanks to chef Gavin and the team. This was followed by the presentation of the winter prizes.
At the end of the event we updated all of the ladies on the new information for the summer season. These are summarised below:
- England Golf now require all members to return scores from away non-qualifying competitions (in addition to qualifying competitions) to their home clubs. This will be used by home clubs when reviewing handicaps. It is not necessary to return scores from Texas scramble or Greensomes competitions but 4BBB or waltz etc are required. Full information on this new regulation can be found on our Club website in the news section under "Rogue golfers"
- The main day for two ladies competitions i.e. The Club Championship qualifier and the Kent cup, will be held at the weekend. The alternative day will be a Friday. Ladies wishing to play on any alternative day are advised to provisionally book a tee time 9 days in advance, on the club's booking system. Members have expressed concern about this change which was approved by the General committee. It is hoped that this change will allow ladies who work during the week, the opportunity to join in at least one main day competition at some time during the year; at the same time it also accommodates ladies, who wish to continue to play on a Friday, the opportunity to do so. Ladies are requested to trial the new system and send any feedback to the General committee at the end of the season.
- John Franklin (mens captain) and I are going to provide a trophy for a new competition called the Captains's cup. The competition will be open to men (white tees) and ladies (red tees). It will be a qualifying stableford singles competition and will be run on 20th May. You will sign up to play on the day, in 3 balls, with any members in the club (men or ladies). All ladies are encouraged to enter.
- There will also be another 2 trophies for ladies to play for this year. The Dorothy Spencer trophy has been donated by her husband Jack. It will be played alongside the CMF stableford. FIona Johnston has donated a trophy the "Johnston trophy". This will be for the best stableford scores, run over 4 rounds, alongside the Bowles trophy, for the 9 holes competition.
- The club have entered a team into the County 9 hole, handicap, evening league. Anyone wishing to play in this league should sign the list, which is on the teams notice board, in the ladies locker room. It is aimed a ladies who are not normally eligible to play in the Shield matches or are unable to play in the Shield matches due to work or other commitments.
- We are hoping to improve communications to ladies. This will be done via this ladies captains news section of the website. We will also print off these articles, and any other electronic communication which is applicable to ladies, and put them onto a notice board in the ladies locker room.
I would like to take this opportunity of wishing all ladies a wonderful golfing season. Please remember, this is our hobby, we play for pleasure, so enjoy.