Many thanks to everyone for their best wishes at my drive in, I really appreciated them.
I am pleased to say that I managed to hit a good drive down the middle of the fairway. What a relief it was. This was followed by the Captain's v Vice Captain's match. Despite a very blustery day I think it was enjoyed by all of the competitors. The vice captain's side won by one point. Well done to Val and her team.
On our return to the club house we all had a welcome delicious bowl of soup. Many thanks to chef Gavin and the team. This was followed by the presentation of the winter prizes.
At the end of the event we updated all of the ladies on the new information for the summer season. These are summarised below:
- England Golf now require all members to return scores from away non-qualifying competitions (in addition to qualifying competitions) to their home clubs. This will be used by home clubs when reviewing handicaps. It is not necessary to return scores from Texas scramble or Greensomes competitions but 4BBB or waltz etc are required. Full information on this new regulation can be found on our Club website in the news section under "Rogue golfers"
- The main day for two ladies competitions i.e. The Club Championship qualifier and the Kent cup, will be held at the weekend. The alternative day will be a Friday. Ladies wishing to play on any alternative day are advised to provisionally book a tee time 9 days in advance, on the club's booking system. Members have expressed concern about this change which was approved by the General committee. It is hoped that this change will allow ladies who work during the week, the opportunity to join in at least one main day competition at some time during the year; at the same time it also accommodates ladies, who wish to continue to play on a Friday, the opportunity to do so. Ladies are requested to trial the new system and send any feedback to the General committee at the end of the season.
- John Franklin (mens captain) and I are going to provide a trophy for a new competition called the Captains's cup. The competition will be open to men (white tees) and ladies (red tees). It will be a qualifying stableford singles competition and will be run on 20th May. You will sign up to play on the day, in 3 balls, with any members in the club (men or ladies). All ladies are encouraged to enter.
- There will also be another 2 trophies for ladies to play for this year. The Dorothy Spencer trophy has been donated by her husband Jack. It will be played alongside the CMF stableford. FIona Johnston has donated a trophy the "Johnston trophy". This will be for the best stableford scores, run over 4 rounds, alongside the Bowles trophy, for the 9 holes competition.
- The club have entered a team into the County 9 hole, handicap, evening league. Anyone wishing to play in this league should sign the list, which is on the teams notice board, in the ladies locker room. It is aimed a ladies who are not normally eligible to play in the Shield matches or are unable to play in the Shield matches due to work or other commitments.
- We are hoping to improve communications to ladies. This will be done via this ladies captains news section of the website. We will also print off these articles, and any other electronic communication which is applicable to ladies, and put them onto a notice board in the ladies locker room.
I would like to take this opportunity of wishing all ladies a wonderful golfing season. Please remember, this is our hobby, we play for pleasure, so enjoy.